[Harp-L] The Paul Butterfield Blues Band LIVE re-relase CD..my take-(long)

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band LIVE
Elektra-Rhino Handmade Series 20004 Warner Music Group
2 CD Set

Disc 1 - Contains the 1970 Vinyl Recording
Disc 2 - Contains previously unreleased performances
from the same series of concerts at The Troubadour in LA

The Record was Produced by Todd Rundgren and this Compilation is produced by
Mark Leviton, also involved is Tom Ellis III, who provided a lot of input,
liner notes and pix for this re-release project, Tom even gets to name an
unidentified song on the second CD that was written by Gene Dinwiddie. After
Tom consulted with remaining band members he came up with the title "Gene's
Tune".

          Rhino has once again done a meticulous job from the Mixing to the
Music, Artwork, Liner Notes and Packaging of a classic record THEN they ice
this cake with a 2nd CD of NEVER released mind blowing music!

I picked up my copy from CD Universe for about $45.00, but worth every penny
for music of this quality.

Here's the Link, I'm told they only do 2,500 copies so don't debate, just
GET IT !!

( I've been assured that the whole project was done on "the up and up" and
Royalties to the legal estate of Paul Butterfield are being made as required
by the record companies involved.)

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&PID=6738649&cart=203515769

 (The first CD is the previously released Double Vinyl remixed to 1 CD)
This record contains the legendary Live versions of The Butterfield Band
playing "Everything Things Gonna Be Alright" and "Driftin Blues", both
containing some of Butterfield BEST playing ever on record.

    I'm going to basically comment on the 2nd CD of unreleased songs.
Obviously, the band on March 21-22, 1970 was "on fire" and totally on top of
this material. Butterfield, is playing better than ever and the elation with
band, is evident in his performances. His Harmonica tone and Fluid execution
is unsurpassed on these recordings. The 2nd CD starts out with:

1) Gene's Tune -

This is a Funky Bad-Ass instrumental in C with the changes being:
C-Eb7-D7-G7, Paul is playing cross harp (F) with tone and phrasing that gets
right in your face and makes you want another chorus of his screaming licks!

The Rhythm section is totally "Locked", to me that were reminiscent of the
old King Curtis Band...with Cornell Dupree, Jerry Jemmott, Billy Preston and
Bernard Purdie. The Changes and Groove are kinda' like "Highway 28" (which
he'd soon lay down without horns on his Better Days Debut record), but
without the Eb7(Minor 3rd-change) and on "Highway 28" Butter, settles for
less notes using a C harp in 1st Position, but even more FUNK in his
phrasing.
   Ted Harris takes the 2nd solo on Elec-Piano with Butter doing some REAL
tasty 'comping' on harp under Ted's solo on What sounds like a Wurlitzer
electric Piano.

   If you listen to what Rod Hicks (Bs) and George Davidson (Drms) are
playing it's a lesson in what I call, "Groovalation".
A total symbiotic "Funk Fest" in the highest degree....Ralph Wash (Gtr) and
Harris just float "OVER" the top of this groove.
          Gene Dinwiddie takes a Tenor solo that tells the whole story and
brings the band back into Butters' outro-head...this tune is a winner and
really shows how comfortable & tight these cats have become as a band.

2) Nobody's Fault but Mine -

The next tune is not the Nina Simone "Nobody's fault but Mine" but the Otis
Redding song by the same name. Ralph Wash, opens the tune with his best
Steve Cropper licks and the band sounds like Stax ala Butterfield!
Butterfield gives a very soulful Vocal Performance sans harp.and Dinwiddie
caps off the tune w/ a "Lady Madonna" lick for the horn section,-)

3) Losing Hand -

Charles Calhoun's minor blues is a perfect vehicle for Butter's 3rd postion
harp (C) in the key of Dm. As in  "Driftin Blues" he once again breaks into
unaccompanied acoustic harp and builds a colorful tension that really builds
a jazzy re-entry of the band and then into a juicy Ralph Wash jazz-blues
guitar solo ala Kenny Burrell meets BB King..Ralph has a beautiful & totally
unique style!  Butter's falsetto at the end of the tune is matched only by
the beauty of his last harp lick that conducts the ending which resolves
this dark minor blues on the dominant 7th IV chord (G7)....superb
arrangement!

4) All in a Day-

This is a Rod Hicks original in the key of Bb , Butter sings and plays some
great
cross harp on an Eb. The song has a nice Funky back beat and Pianist Ted
Harris plays some tasty 'comping' throughout. But the breakdown into a an
extended
Drum solo for a groove meister with some solid Jazz Chops : George Davidson!

5) Feel so Bad-

    This is a Chick Willis song that Ray Charles had a bit of a hit with. it
features Rod Hicks the Bass Player on a very solid Vocal Performance and a Guitar
feature for Ralph Wash. Paul enters with some well crafted answers to Rod's
Vocal Lines toward the second half of the tune....The song is Short & Sweet!

6) Except you-

           Not a Blues at all, but a Jazzy-Pop Ballad penned by a
writer/Producer that Butterfield had worked with on other projects. The Band doesn't feel
totally comfortable with the arrangement and Butter is not settled in on the
Vocals, but sings it abundance of soul and feeling.

7) You've got love with a feeling-

          It sounds like the band hasn't really done this one before, but
Butter called it on the spot and the Band is playing a "Head arrangemnt" as Paul ;
leads them thru it! Butter has some fun with the audience and the Band on
the stop time breakdown. A good ole Freddy King Blues in G.

8) Love March-

          This version of the "Love March" is THE best I've heard hands
down!
  The late Gene Dinwiddie really shines here as he sings and leads the band
thru a socio-artisic journey, that captures the 'vibe' of 1970 better than
any protest song of that era EVER could!

   The song becomes an avant garde suite that showcases the
"soulful" Jazz chops this band had....as Tom Ellis mentions in his notes
He talks about the "strength of the ensemble" and how they "effortlessly
seque across styles"....this song captures ALL that.
    Ellis, further notes, "their complete deconstruction of Love March" -is
a classic example.........."

          Last week I was driving in to NYC with Drummer Bernard Purdie
 Listening to this new CD (en route to an After Republican Convention
Blues Bash last week at Terra Blues in NYC to Jam with Skunk Baxter).

  When "Love March" came on, Purdie was mesmerized by this performance
and asked if I would make him a copy of THAT song!.....Nuff said.....
IMO a great record not only for Butterfield fanatics like myself, But for anyone
that is aerious about Blues Harmonica !

Disc One
1) Everything going to be Alright
2) Love Disease